Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ready to Fight Addiction
CALL NOW! 1-833-799-3880

Any Ideas? People who have "been there" only please....

edited March 23 in Detox and Withdrawal

Hi, my name is Lynn (lol), my fiance' has been binge drinking for about 40 years. Yeah, he likes to party! I don't have much experience in this realm of addiction and I am throwing it out there to the community for feedback as to ways that I could him get through withdraw from alcohol. He served in the Marine Corps and is kidda hard-headed... He just recently decided to "Spin Dry" as they say, and I see him suffering mildly. He had night sweats for the first two nights and seems to be over that part of it (?), but is anxious most of the evenings. Any advice from anyone in the know about how to help a person through this stage would be much appreciated...

ChrisNClarke2017m.reynolds

Comments

• With your fiance' going through such a long time of binge drinking, the normal timeline of about 72 hours for the peak of alcohol withdrawals may not apply. Acute withdrawal time-frame may be longer. If the anxiety is really getting to him, know that the post acute withdrawal phase can be persistent for months.

NClarke2017m.reynoldscherry.mccarthy
  • Thank you for your reply Chris! I sincerely appreciate it... I am willing to help him in every way that I can, I just don't know how... I just try to cook him good tasting nutritious meals, but tasty, so he will really want to eat :smile: He walks for fitness and is continuing to do that everyday...I understand from what you are sharing with me is, that he may continue to experience withdraw symptoms for a few months... that helps me to know what to expect, thank you again!

ChrisNClarke2017m.reynoldscassie.mcginesscherry.mccarthy
  • Looks like you're gonna work really hard
    I'm going to ask you to change your name to Saint-Lynn! o:)

NClarke2017m.reynoldscassie.mcginess
  • Yes I would like to reiterate that PAWS can last for a while. He may benefit from adopting some holistic therapies to his routine like exercise or massage. You said he is really hard-headed so I imagine doing something that is considered a "holistic" healing treatment would be scoffed but, remind him that it would really be helpful to treat his anxiety (which is a symptom of the withdrawals he is facing).

You are already on the right track with getting him properly fed with nutrition food, well-done. You sound like an amazing and supportive wife!

Unfortunately it will take time to heal 100% - after all, if you damage your body (physically & mentally) over the course of dozens of years, it will take some time to heal and can't instantly snap back. But our bodies are powerful vessels and conducive to healing :) Take it one day at a time.

One of my favorite quotes it "It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as we are headed in the right direction"

Chrism.reynoldscassie.mcginess
  • It's been a few days since your post, how is he doing? Have you noticed anything different in his behavior? That's good you are making things he will eat so at least you know he's fueling his body with the right things. I agree with the above poster about our bodies being powerful vessels.

Chrism.reynolds
  • It scares me he's been binge drinking and is trying to do this alone. It is VERY hard on the body to detox from alcohol. I would really suggest he do it under doctor care, even if he doesn't want to go to "rehab". At least his GP would be able to monitor him, unless you are able to? Blood pressure and vitals overall need to be closely monitored. Either way, even if he does detox alone, he's not going to be able to beat this alone. He should find AA meetings in your area STAT. I would just keep doing what you are doing, Lynn. You sound amazing and he's lucky to have you!

Chrism.reynoldscassie.mcginess
  • I agree. There are two forms of care in my experience. Physical care deals with the symptoms of withdrawal like headaches, chills, nausea, etc. It can be dangerous to self-detox especially when his body is so used to the alcohol over the course of 40 years. Then there's the mental aspect like the psychological dependence. I'm sure it helps that you are providing love and support, but it will probably do him good to find a support group - that way he can actually talk to and learn from ex-alcoholics who have probably been in his shoes at some point or another

Chriscassie.mcginessNClarke2017